Weddings at Goldsborough Church
The 13th-century St Mary’s, stands adjacent to the Hall’s grounds, with its own private royal entrance in its south wall, and is perfect for combining a church wedding and reception at Goldsborough Hall.
The private entrance which was used by HRH Princess Mary in the 1920s, is now used by the family or for church weddings at the Hall.
Couples thinking of getting married in St Mary’s Church (Church of England) should contact the Parish Office, open 9am-2pm Tues-Thurs, Tel: 01423 869209.
Church services are held every Sunday at 9am.
1st Sunday Holy Communion (traditional language).
2nd Sunday all-age Communion (informal, modern language).
3rd, 4th & 5th Sundays Holy Communion (modern language).
History of St Mary's Church
This delightful church is 13th century Norman in origin with 14th century additions and contains fine effigies of eminent local families who owned the Hall over the years. There are floor slabs and stained glass windows commemorating previous owners of Goldsborough Hall including the Byerley family in the 1750s and the marble tomb of Daniel Lascelles from 1784.
In the churchyard of St Mary’s there is a standing stone dating back to 500AD where trading took place and taxes were paid. This later became the site of a 9th century Saxon cross that makes up one of the pillars in the church.
In 1923 HRH Princess Mary and Viscount Lascelles christened their son George, the 7th Earl of Harewood at St Mary’s with King George V and Queen Mary in attendance. The following year in 1924, her other son Gerald was christened in the church.